Episode 6 of The Different Drumz Podcast Series with a exclusive mix and interview from Russian D&B artist Intelligent Manners (Fokuz / Good Looking / Innerground)!
1) Intelligent Manners – Sweet Promise (Innerground dub)
2) Random Movement & JayBee – Good Enough (Liquid V dub)
3) Malaky – Reflections (Good Looking dub)
4) Intelligent Manners & Command Strange – Love & Faith (dub)
5) A Sides & Makoto – Searchin’ (Eastside dub)
6) Kasper – Of The Shadows (Fokuz dub )
7) Flaco – Bubble Bobble (Rubik dub)
8) Intelligent Manners & Command Strange – Unpredictably (dub)
9) Roy Green & Protone – DeepInside (Occulti dub)
10) Brother – Still Blue (CS & IM Remix) (Celsius dub)
11) Flaco – Rollin’ Dice (V dub)
12) Nitri, Level 2 feat. Grimm – Lies (Horizons dub)
13) Intelligent Manners & Malaky – Tears (dub)
14) Intelligent Manners – Close My Eyes (Fokuz)
15) Intelligent Manners – Best Place Ever (Fokuz dub)
Hi Intelligent Manners, great to have you involved with Different Drumz, thanks for your time. Please could you kick things off by telling us a little more about yourself for those that may not already know about Intelligent Manners?
Hi everybody, my name is Dmitriy Sabekiya. I was born in Saint-Petersburg, Russia. I started listening to Drum & Bass music at the age of 10, since then everyday goes with this music. I make melodic soulful tunes and some new school stuff. Intelligent Manners is all about dance floor rollers combined with all important sprinkles of soul!
As some people may already know you are from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. What is the Drum & Bass scene like in Russia & how has it changed in recent years?
Today in Russia Drum & Bass is quite popular music. During the last years a lot of new names with releases on good labels appeared on Russian Drum & Bass scene. Big festivals and local parties with artists from all over the world take place here. We have many great dj’s and producers. Drum & Bass music attracts a lot of people. Unfortunately it’s just a small part of what is going on in Drum & Bass industry in the U.K., but I know a lot of artists who always come to play in Russia with great pleasure. I think it’s awesome. The Drum & Bass is universal music!
You have had plenty of quality releases on various labels, Do you have a favorite musical project that you have worked on?
Working on my album “The Movement” for Fokuz Recordings was very interesting. I recorded tracks with my mate Command Strange, Enei, Nuage, vocalists Pouyah from Sweden and Iriann Joyce from Venezuela also took part in this. “The Movement” LP interprets perfectly my state of mind. For me it’s a major achievement and I’m proud of it.
Maintaining a successful career as a producer takes a lot of work and committment,how much time do you spend in the studio & dedicate towards your work?
I’m a full time producer, I spend almost all of my time working in the studio. Plus currently I’m a host of weekly live Drum & Bass radio show on Moscow Megapolis 89’5 FM. You can listen to it in my soundclound page. Drum & Bass is a great part of my life and I really like it.
Are there any artists that you want to work with that you have not yet had the opportunity to work with?
Certainly. I’d like to work with Calibre, Random Movement, Marky and Makoto. These are my favorite artists ever!
Do you have any advice for new artists who want to become music producers and get their tunes out there?
I think that the most important thing is to understand what you are doing it for. Stay true and believe in yourself.
What do you like to do for fun outside of working on music?
Music takes most of my time, so when I’m free i try to stay with my girlfriend and family or hang out with my friends.
Please could you tell us how you have put the DDz podcast mix together and what our listeners can expect to hear in the mix?
I put together mix with forthcoming releases of such labels as Innerground, V, Rubik and Fokuz Recording. It’s kind of changeover from summer into autumn mood. I hope you will feel it. Enjoy the mix!
Whats coming up for you in the near future in terms of music?
My newest 12′ single “Heavenly Thing” is out now on Fokuz Recordings! In october new 12′ coming with track called “Best Place Ever” on Fokuz Recordings, fothcoming release on Marky’s label Innerground, Good Looking Records. Also I want to make my own record label with Alex Command Strange, we are going to release true Drum & Bass music, nothing commercial, you will soon hear about it. Keep your eyes open!
Before we wrap it up, do you have any shouts you would like to give?
Big shout to the Different Drumz crew and all Drum & Bass heads! Thank you all who support me, buy my tracks and come to parties. Owing to you I really enjoy what I’m doing. Thank you!
Finally, please can you give us your current top 10 or so tracks?
1) Intelligent Manners – Sweet Promise (Innerground)
2) A-Sides & Makoto – Searchin’ (Eastside)
3) Intelligent Manners – Best Place Ever (Fokuz)
4) Random Movement – Alone This Way (Good Looking)
5) Malaky – Reflections (Good Looking)
6) Total Science feat. Riya – See Your Face (Shogun Audio)
7) Redeyes – We All Try (Vandal)
8) Flaco – Bubble Bobble (Rubik)
9) Intelligent Manners – Heavenly Thing (Fokuz)
10) Command Strange feat. MC Fats – Brand New Style (V)